PDF
Imprimir
E-mail
Usar puntuación: / 0
MaloBueno 

galega800x600    bandera espa

- The Cloister -

      Everything seems to indicate that the studio that finished the Church was the responsible for surveying the cloister and the monastic dependences works, which were built during the first half of 18th century. From this primitive medieval cloister, around was organized the canons house, only nine arcades remain in the north wing, that wanders parallel bars to the south Church’s wall. The rest of the cloister disappeared after the actually construction, in the 18th century.claustro p

In the Romanic section, we notice a clearly and chronological style evolution, which variation estimate according the construction advances from east to west, where we can guess the introduction of a gothic aesthetic.

      The style of medieval cloister of Collegiate is very similar to Cathedral’s one. That styles links encourage thinking that some of the makers would be related with Master Mateo studio, whose trace is more notorious in the firsts arcade sections.

claustro      The north gallery shows the alternation of two rhythms in the dispassion of the arcades that are organized, either intercalated a pillar among two arches, or superimposed the two arches without pillar to each other. If we compare both stages, we can observe some architecture and ornamental differences. So, in the first part, with a more decorative riches than the second one, emphasized the abundance of vegetable and naturalist ornaments in its capitals, arches and other pieces.

      The last sections of the gallery suffer a light style evolution, coincided with the architectural rhythm change, which is confirmed in the progressive evolution of its vegetable ornaments, the moderation in the depth of the carved ones, the ornamental reductions and the architectural elements simplification.

      The initial link with Master Mateo studio derived in a Gothic style supported by the pro-Gothic character of Master Mateo and its finished date, middle 13th century, when Santiago Juan Arias (1238-1266) was the Archbishop.

      In the middle of the court a fountain raises, whose basin dates from 13th century. The fountain, which configuration evokes Cathedral cloister once, was made in a granite block and decorated with “gallones” (definition: each of the concave segments of certain vaults, finished off in round for its broader extremity). According to the different signs that fountain would proceed from the one that was in the disappeared Paradise façade (today, Azabachería).

      Along the cloister are organizing several pieces connected with the original function of this space as burial place. That is the case of sepulchres and graves (12th-14th centuries). The first one, localized the south wall of the Church, belong to Compostela’s canon Bernardo Arias (died in 1291), which presents an image recumbent that emphasizes by the carved care of its rich robes.tumba p

claustro3 p      In the next section we can observe a second tomb -with an image recumbent too- from 1368, that certainty belong to one of the Sar’s priests, but his identity is unknown. The figure forms, most coarse and geometrics that the first grave one’s, keeps a big similarity in the way of represent the image. In this way, for example, both two hold up in their chest a closed book and their heads emphasized upon a modest pillow. Finally, an ample serie of sepulchral gravestones contemplate this funeral collection.

      Together this pieces share space with a serie of architectonics elements with a big artistic and cultural interest appertaining to the ancient medieval building of Sar: a fragment of the rosette from the principal façade, different capitals, cinacios (definition: Set of moldings that serves to crown an architectural element), keystones and pieces from the 13th century.